Winch operations and vehicle recovery using jacks and towing equipment can be extremely hazardous. If your employees need to undertake any of these operations then they need to be trained to a good standard to fulfil H&S requirements.
Many 4x4s and ATVs are fitted with winches for self-recovery or to extend their usefulness to extraction of materials such as wood and animals. PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) and LOLER (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations) requirements must be fulfilled by all companies providing employees with winches.
Health & Safety in Winch Operation – RoSPA Certification
Our trainers are experienced with all types of winches and winch operations, not limited to electric and hydraulic vehicle mounted winches, but also including hand-winches (such as the Tirfor) and industrial winches. They have experience in the field with wide variety of operations from vehicle recovery to military lifting operations and forestry applications.
Specialist courses can be provided for 4×4 recovery, gamekeeping and forestry extraction, or tailored to your requirements.
Basic Health & Safety in Winching Operations courses can be held with up to 4 candidates at your workplace or at one of our off-road sites. Course contents include:
- Identify health and safety requirements and be able to carry out a risk assessment before using a vehicle mounted or hand operated winch and associated equipment.
- Recognise and understand safe working practices for winching.
- Prepare for and carry out the recovery of a vehicle in an off road situation or moving of an object from point A to point B safely including correct use of associated equipment and snatch blocks.
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Site risk assessment and management
- Winch types and associated equipment
- Object to be moved
- Method of winching
- Practical winching (including assessment)
We offer full RoSPA certification with our specialist winch trainers.
Contact us for more details: